Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Storytelling Week 14: The Centuries Race

The Centuries Race

Wiki: The Tortoise & The Hare

It's been 100 years since the famous Tortoise and the Hare race where the unlikely tortoise beat the smug Hare in a race. Since that race, many changes have taken place. The Tortoise family lived in the glory and limelight after that fateful day. The Hare family became less confident as the years went by.

Now to mark the 100th year anniversary of the race, the two families have agreed to to a Centennial race. 

"Why do you even bother doing this Hare?" the tortoise asked. "I'm going to clobber you like my great grandpa did 100 years ago!"

"T... Thh... The only reason your great grampy won was b.. bee... beeee... because m.. mmm.. myyy.. my great grampy was a... aa... aaaa... arrogant," the Hare Stuttered.

"If that's what you think! I'm still going to beat you and uphold my families legacy! Get ready to eat my dust you filthy rabbit," Tortoise said.

Beep. Beep. Beep. BEEEEEP!!! 

The race was on. The Hare was stricken with a sudden fit of grief. He thought there was no way he could beat the tortoise, even though he was slow as molasses. Hare could not even think straight with everyone's eyes on him.

"I can't do this!" Hare yelled as the Tortoise slowly made his way down the racetrack.

The Hare gave up and lost the three day long race. 

The Tortoise family would rule the racing world for at least another hundred years.


Author's Note:
So this is the classic tale of the Tortoise & The Hare but since I like to change things up a bit I decided to make the Hare this big hot shot racer that is kind of a punk and the rabbit as a shy, timid bunny.

Bibliography:
Fables in Rhyme for Little Folks
W. T. Larned (adapted from La Fontaine), illustrated by John Rae, 1918.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dylan,
    Aw, it makes me a bit sad that the turtle became just as the arrogant as the hare in the original story. It was a nice touch that you made the hare so scared of the tortoise that it stuttered when he talked to him. I also thought you had a clever spin to the original story by making it a centennial race tradition. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dylan! I enjoyed your story this week. I liked your take on the story. The centennial race was a nice touch. I really thought that the Hare was going to redeem his family, because the Tortoise was so cocky!The Hare's dialogue (specifically the stuttering) added a lot to the story and helped me better picture your characters. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the dialogue in this story. It is super sad that the Hare was so nervous he could not race! I really wanted him to put that arrogant Tortoise in his place. He was a jerk! I really like how you made the Hare have a stutter. It added a great character detail to the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dylan, I loved the way you rewrote your story this week. They way you wrote it as the 100th anniversary was so clever and gave insight to maybe what happened after. I really like the angle you took on this one. I enjoyed reading your story. I also love how you added a stutter. It really added some personal qualities to the characters.

    ReplyDelete